I almost feel bad about this post. First of all, the amount of actual cooking you do consists of shredding chicken that the crock pot has cooked for you, so the work is kept ridiculously low. Second of all, it is another one of those shady pins from Pinterest like from the meatballs last week. I feel like I cheated this week and I’m not completely sure why. Maybe it’s that I barely did any work for this post and took my recipe from the dark alley again instead of a good and proper blog.
Oh well. I don’t feel too bad because this chili is the bee’s knees and is by far one of the easiest and cheapest recipes I have given you lovely people yet. Not only that, but chili is one of the greatest comfort foods. Nice and hearty without making you feel sluggish, steamy and slightly spicy for a chilly night in. Mmmmmm…chili.
Plus, this is a GREAT recipe to mess with. Want more beans? Go buck wild, add another can. Oh, you like your chili with lots of tomato chunks? Well we aren’t friends anymore because tomato chunks are about as appetizing as finding a hair in your cookie, but I guess you can add a can of those. Is taco chili just not right without corn? Well by golly add some corn you crazy kids! Really, as long as it looks right to you, it will probably taste just fine.
Me? I’m kind of a weirdo and like my chili very basic so what I will be giving you is just that. I’m not one for a bunch of add-ons and I have a particular hatred of tomatoes, although the sauce is fine because it is seasoned wonderfully. So basically, feel free to spruce this up to your taste without fear of screwing up horribly. My only caution is to make sure your crock pot or pot isn’t too full. You definitely want about 1 or 2 inches of the top available for bubbling and gurgling.
Also, the original shady pin called for a packet of taco seasoning. I like to use my own because that way I don’t get any of the extra salt or additives. I found a great recipe over at 5 Dollar Dinners, and have a little container of it made up so I can just grab it when I need it. I’m so handy.
Another bonus with this super easy recipe? It is really healthy! Seriously, it is basically chicken, beans, and tomato sauce. And most of the things you would add in like diced tomatoes or corn are healthy. So go ahead, eat two bowls! You’ll want to, trust me.
And on to the price breakdown!
- 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans: $1 each
- 28oz. can tomato sauce: $1.50
- 3 chicken breasts: $4.00 (a super generic approximation)
- I don’t count the taco seasoning into this because it is such a small portion of what you buy.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 T. Taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
- 1 T. chili powder
The intensive instructions:
- Put all the ingredients in your crock pot. If you don’t own a crock pot (get one) just use a pot on your stove with the heat turned down low.
- Put the crock pot on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours. For a pot, a little hotter for 6 hours or a little cooler for 10 hours. You get the idea.
- About 3 hours in (no need to be super punctual) take two forks and shred the chicken in the crock pot. I do this so that the flavor of the chili gets into all of the chicken.
- Put that goodness in a bowl and go to town. Cheese and chips make a great addition to serving.
Hope this turns out great for all of you! Try new variations for yourself and comment what you did and how it turned out🙂